13 September 2010

Mea Culpa

A few posts back I made reference to Recursive Economics(tm) as a term of art, invented by me.  Alas, out of curiosity, I let my fingers do the searching, and it turns out that the term has existed in economics curricula since, at least, the late 1980's.  The use appears to be somewhat different from the notion I was attempting to propose.  But the term isn't mine.

Here is a syllabus I found which provides a readable (that is, without the maths) description of what the economics profession means by Recursive Economics.  I may read one the the texts mentioned to see whether there's much overlap, but I doubt it.  Reading reviews of some of these texts on Amazon, I saw that many allowed as how there was copious use of semi-advanced maths (from the point of view of a math Ph.D) in a naive way, but little economics insight.  Once again, the reason I abandon the field.

No comments: