09 March 2011

Fit to Be Tied

Tie me up, Buttercup!  Well, lock me out Rex Stout!!!  The stomach churning that is the NFL and its players needs addressing, if only a little bit.  Long, long ago, when I was paid to be an economist, I had a look at public financing of private facilities.  Primary among these are stadiums for football, baseball, and to a lesser extent basketball/hockey which usually share a facility.  I could only find data which showed that the taxpayer didn't get much out of it.  Owners, who, absent slavery, own little or nothing, generally made out very well.

So, in a fit of search hysteria, I found this piece at the HuffPost.  I don't much like the HP, since it is mostly about indentured servitude, but this piece appears to be authored in-house.  I guess.  Hard to say.  Whether this is a paid author, don't know.

Here's the bit that matters:
"Twenty-eight of the league's 31 stadiums (the Jets and the Giants share the New Meadowlands Stadium) have been built with some amount of public financing...  Eleven have been 100 percent publicly financed. Taxpayers have put up more than $5 billion since 1990."  Welfare for the rich??  Could be.  Those teachers sure don't deserve retirement or health care, though.

No comments: