09 August 2011

Mother's Little Helper

Yes, I know I owe you folks the details of the YDI, which don't yet exist.  Due to my increasing fascination with statistics (my first love, truth be told), and the R stat language, I keep finding interesting bits of R out there.

Today's installment is why the YDI came into my head.  (It's linked from an R blog posting, but he's said to use R in his method.)  This is just one example, and recent.  But it shares the common characteristic of such efforts:  it ignores the driver of depression, collapsing demand.  The money guys, whether banks or brokers or funds, view the economy through their narrow currency (as opposed to production) peephole.  No, not pee hole.

They also ignore what's been the problem since Reagan:  concentration.  Both of wealth, and corporate control.  Adam Smith (the real one) made clear that an economy, if it be successful, has to be such that power is diluted equally among all participants.  That wasn't true in 1776 (a common Trivial Pursuit question) either, but the Tea Baggers do love to romanticize.

No comments: