12 January 2012

Energizer Bunny

One of those theses I'd been considering writing about just became redundant. And that's a good thing. For various reasons, none of which I can pinpoint, I'd been building on the idea that our problem is just energy. I don't know that this is novel, but it's not been the basis of any analysis I've seen in memory. Analysis is political or religious or whatever.

But the fact remains: the distinguishing characteristic of human "progress" is just large per capita energy expenditure. Whether that energy expenditure necessarily makes us more "civilized" is a significant question. But the change in societies can be simply measured in BTUs.

So, I was sipping rum and cable surfing, and came across "The History of the World in Two Hours" on History International (or H2). I caught the last half hour or so, but was struck by thesis: "progress" was the result of energy consumption. I guess I don't have to write the piece. Check your local listings. It's worth a look.

The question not answered: is there really any difference between a hairy Neanderthal using a club to kill his neighbor in order to take his neighbor's stuff, and not so hairy homo sapien using a laptop to reach the same end?

No comments: