26 January 2019

Swamp People

For no particular reason, the show "Swamp People" walked through my lower brain stem, so off to the Wikipedia I went. Turns out to be mostly true, although I've never, and won't, watch the show. But this led to more searching, and I came across a thread, which contains this morsel:
Publicity fricks everything up. 30 years ago, I was a mussel diver on The Tennessee River. There were only a few of us,and it was easy to make some really great money,doing something I enjoyed. Somebody talked to the wrong people one day though,and this news crew showed up at our main boat ramp asking questions.
Well a handful of dumbasses had to talk about all the money they were making.Next thing you know,the river was covered up with divers.

The market for shells got flooded pretty quick,and the shell population got raped,because the new guys were taking small shells.
I had to get a fricking real job
-- Auggie/2017

Turns out that the show had about the same effect on gator hunting. Not surprising, at all. If you search for information on virtually any harvested animal, you'll find the same story. Knuckleheads make silly money depleting the stock, then get all bent out of shape when the Damn Gummint tells them to stop raping the stock. Or they harvest it to extinction.

No comments: